Starting since February 4th 2021 all servers will be able to set various gamemodes. So far there are 9 modes that server owners can set. Everything is subject to change.
Gamemode can be set using convar
+server.gamemode <name>. Put it in your server startup config and changes will be applied on launch. There is also an other command that can be used at runtime,
gamemode.set <name>. Check information below for the full list of currently available modes.
|vanilla||Default Rust gameplay|
|softcore||Vanilla gameplay but with some changes to make the game easier. See below for details|
|hardcore||Vanilla gameplay but with lots of features disabled or limited, providing a harder experience|
|weapontest||For test purposes. Made for testing weapon changes|
|deathmatch||Placeholder: not working currently.|
|teamdm||Placeholder: not working currently.|
|onedeath||Placeholder: not working currently.|
|koth_solo||Placeholder: not working currently.|
|koth_team||Placeholder: not working currently.|
Hardcore mode provides a "raw" experience of Rust, and in some way might remind you of earlier days. Many features were either removed or limited - for example, you are no longer able to see the map, or use Rust+. Max amount of sleeping bags is now limited, and there is no global chat - that's not all, though. Here's the full list of changes:
- Tech Tree is more expensive: +50% cost to Tier 1 tree, 2x cost to Tier 2, and 4x cost to Tier 3 (new)
- Team system was disabled
- Disabled the map for both G key and on death screen. No way to see your last death location either
- Removed safe zones
- Removed peacekeeper NPCs and sentries from "safe zone" monuments
- Global chat is now disabled
- Added local chat instead. Displays messages from players that are near you in radius of 100 meters
- Compass is now disabled
- Contacts are now disabled. Game does not remember players you've seen, and you can't mark any of them as friendlies or enemies
- Rust+ and it's features are now disabled
- Disabled crawling when wounded
- Map seed is no longer sent to Steam servers and won't show up in
- Hardcore servers will wipe both map and blueprints each month
- Max amount of sleeping bags for each player is now limited to 5
Also following commands were disabled to avoid players finding workarounds for removed/limited features:
Softcore is a "lightweight" version of vanilla Rust gameplay:
- Max team size is 4 players
- Auth limited to team size (4)
- Players can respawn at Compound/Bandit Camp. (not available if they are marked as hostile)
- Not all loot is lost on death: 50% of inventory and 50% of hotbar items can be reclaimed at safe zone. Armor isn't saved. Players have only 2 hours to retrieve it, after that it'll disappear.
This is an experimental gamemode and will change in the future.
Softcore comes with three convars that allows you to edit amount of random items players can reclaim at safezone terminals. 0 means 0%, 0.5 means 50%, 1 means 100%.
|gamemodesoftcore.reclaim_fraction_belt||% of items that will be saved from hotbar||0.5|
|gamemodesoftcore.reclaim_fraction_main||% of items that will be saved from inventory||0.5|
|gamemodesoftcore.reclaim_fraction_wear||% of armor that will be saved||0|
You can also change the maximum team and auth size using convar