Steam Game Server Accounts
Starting with the December 2015 update, Garry's Mod game servers may use the Steam Game Server Accounts feature. This feature verifies game ownership, makes sure your clients can connect to your server after IP changes and helps keep fake servers at bay.
Starting with the May 2020 update, all Garry's Mod servers should have a GSLT (Steam Game Server Login Token). Servers without a GSLT will suffer a severe penalty in server list ranking.
Steam Game Server Account help your players find your server, should the IP address of your server be changed. It also verifies game ownership (as a verified purchase on Steam is required to generate a GSLT) and prevents fake servers flooding the server list.
The process of setting this up for your server is pretty straight forward.
Firstly, log into your Steam account and generate a GSLT on the following page:
You'll need to make sure your Steam account matches all the requirements, then enter the required information into the text boxes on the page.
- The first field ("App ID of the base game") should always be set to
4000for Garry's Mod.
- The second field ("Memo") can be anything that will help you identify the specific server in a list of other Steam Game Server Accounts. Note that you'll need to create a separate GSLT for each server you are planning to host.
Then press Create.
After pressing Create, the page will reload and a new entry will be shown on the page, containing the memo, the login token and the app id for which the login token is generated for.
From this page you also can:
- Delete any Login Tokens you own
- Generate a new Login Token for given server ( You will need to change it on your server too )
- Set another memo for any Login Token you own
WARNING! EACH SERVER MUST HAVE UNIQUE LOGIN TOKEN!
Once you got your Login Token, copy it and add the following to your command line parameters:
and restart your server.
Your server will now have a static SteamID/Steam Account.
- Specifying an invalid / expired key will prevent the server from connecting to Steam servers. This can be intentionally used if you do not want to show a development server in the master server list.
- Changing your Steam password (via any means) will invalidate all active GSLTs, which will need to be re-created (using the "Regenerate token" at the end of each row)
- If you see
Connection to Steam servers lost. (Steam error code 6)being printed in server console and clients are being disconnected, it's likely caused by using the same GSLT on two or more servers.